Tuesday, 24 September 2013

He is Able


When Mike was diagnosed with ALS two and a half years ago we prayed diligently for a long time that God would heal him. God didn’t heal him, but He still could and the decline of Mike's health doesn't make it more difficult for God to heal him now. God's power is limitless and it would be just as easy for God to heal Mike now as it would have been for God to heal him before the illness really took off.

I must admit though, my hope for healing faded a while ago and my prayers for healing waned. And then recently, God said to me "I am able!" And I said, "I know." And He said "Then why don't you pray for your husband's healing anymore?" And then I asked for forgiveness and I asked for more faith. And then I resumed my plea!

It's funny because hundreds of prayers have been answered since we first prayed for Mike's healing. But, why not this prayer? Why not the healing prayer? I'm not really a "why?" person. I usually accept the "no's" with the "yes's" and trust God's decisions. And so it is with this as well. I have decided that I will pray for Mike's healing until it happens or until we part and I'll continue to accept the "no's" with the "yes's" and praise God that He is able. And of course, I have to trust His decision.

Last night after I gave Mike his last smoothie of the day and crushed up his meds and put them in his feeding tube, I brushed his teeth, suctioned his mouth, washed his face and stood him up, I held the urinal and he went pee. I gripped him real tight around the backs of his arms and helped him inch his feet toward his wheel chair and I wheeled him to the bed room. I parked him right beside his bed, suctioned his mouth again, stood him up, held him super tight and helped him inch his feet to turn around and rest his butt on the edge of the bed. Then I flipped him onto the bed (I call the move the flip). I quickly made sure his arms were beside him comfortably and his head straight on the pillow. I took off his shoes and socks. I rolled him on his side and put a pillow behind him to keep him propped. I put a pillow between his legs, a pillow between his feet, a pillow under his top arm and two small pillows stacked under his bottom arm and I wrapped the fingers from both hands around the pillows. I pulled his shoulder out from under him slightly, tilted his head just a little, put an ankle brace on his left ankle, and suctioned his mouth again.

When Mike gave me his signature “good job” smile and in barely a whisper told me “perfect”, I pushed my bed up against his bed, I ran to the washroom, ran back and I jumped in (Mike has been in a hospital bed for a couple of months now, so we sleep in separate beds...kinda like Lucy and Ricky Ricardo from the "I Love Lucy" show). Anyway, I jumped in and we said our prayers. I of course prayed for Mike's healing among many other things and praised God that He is able.

The following are lyrics of a song I love. It’s called God is Able, by Hillsong:

God is able and He will never fail.
He is almighty God.
Greater than all we seek, greater than all we ask,
He has done great things.

Lifted up, He defeated the grave.
Raised to life, our God is able.
In His name, we overcome, for the Lord our God is able!

God is with us, God is on our side.
He will make a way.
Far above all we know, far above all we hope, He has done great things!
Lifted up, He defeated the grave.
Raised to life, our God is able.
In His name, we overcome, for the Lord our God is able!
God is with us and He will go before,
He will never leave us, He will never leave us.
God is for us and He has open arms and He will never fail us!                                                                   He will never fail us!                                                                          
Lifted up, He defeated the grave.
Raised to life, our God is able.
In His name, we overcome, for the Lord our God is able!
PS - When Mike got his hospital bed, I slept on a mattress on the floor intending to get a bed and just never got around to it. A few angels took care of it and got me a bed. I call it "the cloud" because it's so comfortable and because it came from three angels.
 
 
 
Me and Mike at the dike last week - one of our favourite places to walk and pray
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment