Thursday, 6 June 2013

Fear Less

This blog post is dedicated to my children – Erin, Nathan and Madison. I encourage you to put your faith before your fears and never let anything stop you from being all you are meant to be, from doing all you are supposed to do and from experiencing God’s very amazing and wonderful plans for your lives.

And to my parents: for their endless prayers and for helping me to face my fears.
I woke up early this morning, about 5 a.m. Newfoundland time. After helping Mike turn over, he went back to sIeep but I couldn’t. I laid in bed and prayed for a while and then got my cell phone and listened to some music. I just love this new rendition of an old hymn I have been listening to: His Eye is on the Sparrow, written by Civilla D. Martin (1905). Yancy, the current artist sings it beautifully on her new album, “Roots for the Journey”.

Mike and I are in St Johns Newfoundland with my sister, Elanna and Madison. Madison is playing for Team Canada in the world ball hockey tournament. Mike and I first went to Toronto for five days to visit his family. Elanna met us in Toronto at the airport and we flew together to St Johns. Madison came a few days earlier to practice with her team.
Before we left, I called upon some friends to pray for us; for Mike, yes, but mostly for me. It sounds selfish, but I am afraid of flying and rely on the prayers of family and friends to help me. I haven’t always been afraid of flying, but I can’t really remember when the fear first came knocking. I have been flying since I was young; trips to visit grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins in Steinbach Manitoba, a trip to Disney Land and my first trip to Brazil when I was 18. Since then, I have flown many times. In Canada, trips to Calgary, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa and short flights throughout BC…Then there is Mexico, Brazil, Nigeria and Malawi, Africa, The Dominican and Bulgaria and the US and all the connecting flights, throughout the US, Africa and Europe. It’s a lot of flying for someone who is afraid.

I hate saying I’m afraid because the Bible says that “Perfect love casts out all fear.” Perfect love comes from my Heavenly Father whose perfect love I have known all my life. So why am I afraid? I have asked myself that question numerous times. I tell people, I’m not afraid of dying, I’m just afraid of flying. I’m not afraid of the dark, I’m not afraid of heights (maybe a little sometimes), I’m not afraid of speaking in public. I wonder if the Lord allows this fear in my life to test my faith.
Elanna says that it is commendable that I don‘t let the fear stop me from flying. Family vacations, trips to visit friends and family and orphans in Africa, hockey tournaments, Missions trips, Mike’s medical treatments, new places, new faces and all the amazing adventures have forced me to put my faith before my fear and it’s one of the hardest exercises I have had to perform.

Joel Osteen says, “When fear comes knocking, let faith open the door.” When I am all buckled up, and the engines start to roar and the air plane jets down the run way, and the front end lifts off the ground, my heart pounds and sweat beads; I am a nervous wreck. The fear knocks and my faith reluctantly opens the door and I rise above visualizing God’s big hand holding me up. I love His big hand!
And so it is with ALS. We rely on God’s big hand to hold us up. In order to enjoy the time we have left, we must let faith answer when fear knocks. Mike’s strong faith and lack of fear convicts and encourages me every day!

I can’t imagine my life had I let my fears ground me. Even still after every flight, I think perhaps it’s the last one. But NO, I tell myself.  My faith is much greater than my fear and I look forward to my next adventure. God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, of love and of a sound mind.        2 Timothy 1:7
                                                          St Johns Newfoundland

"Let not your heart be troubled," His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but just one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me. Civilla D. Martin                                                                                        
So, to my dear children, and everyone: The Lord cares for the birds of the air, and how much more does He care for you. “So don’t be afraid, you are worth more than many sparrows.”   


                                            Last week in Toronto, Ontario with Mike and his family:

                                                                                     

 

 
 
 
This week in St Johns, Newfoundland:
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment