Thursday, 31 January 2013

Golden Boy

I think it’s pretty cool that with my blogger account, I can check to see how many people are reading and where they are from. For instance, I know there are seventeen people reading my blog right now. I can also see where they are from and what blog posts are being read. I can check what the numbers are for the day, week, month and all time. I’m amazed at how people from all over the world are reading. Canada, USA, Sweden, Russia, UK, Germany, France, Ukraine, Australia and Brazil are the top ten, to name just a few. People are reading from counties I haven’t even heard of…that’s the magic of the internet! ALS With Courage is approaching 50,000 hits, most of the hits from people I don’t know. But here is what I do know; we are all in the same boat.

We are all in the same boat! There are no exceptions, we all experience trials of many kinds. That’s life! But you know what’s been said about life? “It’s 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it.” We have a choice how we live and how we react to the trials and the struggles and the difficulties of life…it’s a lot to do with attitude.
Mike continues to possess the most amazing attitude, along with his strong faith and incredible courage, he has something very special. To date: not one “woe is me”. He still tells jokes even though he has to spell them out (literally) because we don’t understand. The laughs are delayed, but never the less, we laugh. He takes everything in stride and never complains. He is the same guy on the inside, perhaps an even better version of himself. He has allowed the fires to refine him into a beautiful masterpiece and I just don’t know how to express how incredible it is to watch. I feel so small and insignificant next to my ‘golden boy’. It’s humbling and I’m in awe.

1 Peter 1:7 says, “These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold--though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honour…”
Mike never focuses on what he can’t do or what he has lost. He stays focused on what he can do and what he still has. On Sundays at 11am we sometimes watch Pastor Joel Osteen on T.V., who said a couple of weeks ago, “As long as you have breath, you have purpose.” Mike’s purpose may have changed, and perhaps is more significant now. He has become a great teacher and I, a student, still have a lot to learn.


Mike with our occupational therapist trying out his new lift...it lifts him from chair to bed and back. I don't use the lifts yet, but the home care people do...its safer for them and for Mike.
 
 
Nathan and Leah trying out the lift in the living room.
Mike on the computer using his eye gaze - a camera on the computer picks up the reflection from the dot on his nose, which he uses a the mouse to use the on screen keyboard.
 
 
Mike's still standing - here doing his exercises
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment