Sunday, 13 January 2013

A Good Hair Day

Well, it’s a new year. Happy New Year! I like the New Year; it’s like a fresh start. It’s a time to reflect on the past, and anticipate the future; perhaps set a few goals. For some it’s a time to make major changes and for others it’s a time to make a few minor adjustments. Not everyone makes New Year’s resolutions, but many do. As a fitness instructor, I can vouch for the many that do…classes are over-crowded at the gym and the parking lot is packed.

I have made a few resolutions this year along with the one resolution I make every year; which is to eat less/pray more. I guess making the same resolution every year is an indication that I haven’t had the greatest success, so I keep trying, just like the January gym goers who believe this year they will accomplish their fitness goals and exercise the other eleven months as well. I say, “Good for you…you can do it!”
As I pondered my list of resolutions this week, I decided to tweak my resolution of ‘eat less, pray more’ to ‘eat less’ (that stays) and ‘PRAISE more’. I have been contemplating the past year and there is absolutely no way we could have made it through without the help of the Lord. We experienced more changes and more challenges last year than all other years combined and I know I would have snapped without Him. So many times, I called out to Him and He was there. So many times I couldn’t call out, I had no voice, I had nothing and He was there. I was convinced a long time ago that my Heavenly Father is always there, but it just seemed to be the theme of 2012. He wanted me to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that He is always there and that He cares for me more than I could ever imagine or comprehend. While remembering all the wonders He has done, I decided He deserves more praise.

One of my favorite Bible verses illustrates so well how God cares and how He knows His children and how much He values them: Matthew 10:29-31 says; “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”
Speaking of hair, I will share a story of how one day, through some good friends and a trip to the salon, God showed me how well taken care of I am. I received a gift certificate from five dear friends to go get my hair done. It was very generous; it was enough for color and a cut at the salon where I normally go for just a cut.

I was sure to book my appointment in advance and when the day came I was very excited to spend some time at the salon. Knowing that the cost was covered, I relaxed and enjoyed my make-over even more than usual. Three hours later, when I was all done and feeling like a million bucks, I went to present my gift certificate to the receptionist. The receptionist told me that while I was having my hair done a friend of mine called and told her that she saw me through the window in the salon chair while driving by when she was running some errands at the same strip mall. The receptionist said that my friend, I’ll call her SB, gave her a credit card number and told her she wanted to pay for my salon service that day. The receptionist told her I had a gift certificate, so SB said to charge her with any costs not covered by the gift certificate. I didn’t understand at first what the receptionist was telling me. After she explained it again, I couldn’t believe it! I actually had to laugh…I cried a little too. The gift certificate covered the bill plus tax, so the receptionist charged SB with the tip.
I don’t believe this was a coincidence, I believe it was a set up. The Lord set me up again to deliver a profound message. He doesn’t really care about my hair color, but He does know every strand on my head, and He cares for me beyond measure. It wasn’t about the money, because I had the money. It was another example of many this past year that proved how He is always with us and how He will always take care of us.

Mike hasn’t experienced any changes in his condition since the stem cell treatment he had on December 5th, but we aren’t discouraged about it, we are content and still hopeful. Whatever happens, God is with us and He is worthy of all our praise!
 
Happy 50th Wedding Anniversary to my parents (January 12th), Sheila and George, who have taught us the importance of prayer and praise. Pictured here with their grandchildren. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment