Monday, 3 September 2012

My, How Time Flies

Why does time have to fly? Why can’t it crawl, or walk, or stroll…or even jog? Why does it have to fly? Time flies, so I guess it has wings and what I’ve noticed as it gains momentum, it just goes faster and faster.

I remember when my children were little, mothers with older children would tell me to enjoy it while it lasts, because time flies and before you know it, they’re all grown up. I would politely say something like, “Oh really?” But inside I was rolling my eyes and saying something like, “Whatever lady.” I take it back now and I wish I could turn the clock back a little too.
It feels just like yesterday I dropped my youngest child off at kindergarten. I cried then and I cried last week when we dropped her off at university. I will always be my children’s mother and I hope they will always need me to some degree, but a chapter in my life has just come to an end and I’m a little sad.

Some parents are happy when that last one leaves the nest, but I’m just not ready for it yet. It’s the end of child rearing I guess and that was my job, my joy, the biggest and best assignment of my life. In the 23 years that I have been a mom, I have made hundreds of peanut butter and jam sandwiches, I have driven to hundreds of practices and I’ve given hundreds of pep talks. I’ve done thousands of loads of laundry; I have given thousands of good night kisses and said thousands of late night prayers. I have baked dozens of cookies and cupcakes, I have made dozens of Halloween costumes, I have thrown dozens of birthday parties and I have bandaged dozens of scraped knees…dance recitals and public speaking contests, hockey games and field trips, Christmas concerts and school plays and on and on the list goes…most mothers know exactly what I’m talking about.
This weekend at Luke’s (my 11 year old nephew) soccer game, I got so excited when he scored a goal and received the MVP award at the end of the game. I thought to myself that perhaps my child rearing days are over, but my child cheering days aren’t. I was at the same soccer field my children played at most Labour Day weekends and here I was again with the same grand purpose in life; to cheer for a young person I love and his team mates and to celebrate with them their accomplishments and encourage them when they make mistakes (at soccer and in life). I just wanted to yell out to the parents all around me, “Enjoy it while it lasts, because time flies and before you know it, they’re all grown up!” (I'd overlook a little eye rolling)

Yesterday, my oldest daughter Erin, sent me a picture and a post on Facebook. It was the picture below and it said this: I was emptying out your dresser when I found these. I can't believe you kept them! I have so many memories of you driving me to ballet and always stopping for a cone. I guess some things never change eh? haha. I love you mom!
 

Take it from a guy like Mike who has been told his days are numbered (all our days are numbered). He would say, “Enjoy every minute of it!”
                               Mike on the ice with his kids - Nathan, Erin, Madison - March 2011
 
                                     Erin and Nathan in angel costumes (about 4 and 3 yrs old)
 
       Dropping Madison off last week for her first hockey practice at Mount Royal University in Calgary, Alberta.
 
A special thanks to Mike's sister, Aileen, who helped us move Madison. Aileen did most of the driving and was a huge help! Here, Mike and Aileen are helping Madison get groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment