Friday, 15 June 2012

Come to Me

I have been very busy lately and Mike and I haven’t been spending as much time reading Scripture and praying together and that’s probably why I have been feeling a little anxious and pretty exhausted. Yesterday, when I finally sat down with Mike to spend some time in devotion to the Lord, this is what we read in My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers:

The questions that truly matter in life, are remarkably few, and they are all answered by these words – “Come to Me.” Our Lord’s words are not, “Do this, or don’t do that,” but – “Come to me.” Oswald Chambers is basing his teaching on Matthew 11:28, which says; “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Oswald goes on to say: The attitude necessary for you to come to Him is one where your will has made the determination to let go of everything and deliberately commit it all to Him.
A few weeks ago at church, the Pastor asked everyone to write down a need, or needs that they wanted prayer for on the blank cards that were handed out. All the cards were put into a large glass jar at the front of the church and a few people prayed over the jar of cards, asking the Lord to meet all the needs. The need I wrote down on my card was, ‘rest’ (Mike wasn’t there, so I wrote down ‘healing’ for him).

Last night, after Mike was all tucked into bed I went back to the books to have another look at the lesson of the day. As I continued to ponder the Matthew scripture – “Come to me all you who are weary, and I will give you rest,” I contemplated my need for rest and realised I obviously hadn’t determined to let go of everything and commit it all to Him’. It’s a simple solution to all our big problems and the small ones too…it’s just difficult to do sometimes. I felt convicted as I sat with my Heavenly Father and listened to the words He has spoken to me many times before. I started to pray and ask Him to forgive me for not fully relying on Him all the time. He just had one thing to say in reply; “Come to me.” I dropped everything and let go of everything as well and crawled in beside Mike and found some much needed rest in the arms of my Heavenly Father.  
I am still learning to let go and trust the Lord with all my heart. I am very thankful He is so patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment