Thursday, 26 January 2012

Second Opinion - by Erin Sands

Last week I took my bike to an upscale, fancy looking bike shop in Point Grey to get repaired. I had been having trouble with the chain for a few weeks and my bike had become unridable. The man at the shop looked at my bike, spun a few things and poked around and came to the conclusion that my bike was in bad shape. He told me I needed many parts replaced and that it was going to cost me around $60-$70.
I decided to get a second opinion.
I went to the local bike shop on campus run by students. I was greeted with a friendly, young guy who welcomed me in. He spent some time with my bike. I stood there with a look of despair on my face since I thought this was going to cost me a pretty penny. The guy looked at me and simply said “Here’s the problem. Your shoelace is caught in the chain”. He removed it and my bike was good as new!
I asked how much I owed him and he said "you don't owe anything but if you want, we have a tip jar at the front and even some spare change would be awesome".
 When my dad was first diagnosed with ALS he refused to accept it. He demanded a second, third and fourth opinion. Although the answers he got didn’t get better, he never lost hope that things could be better. Something I have learned from my dad is to never settle. Seeing the hope and faith this man continues to have inspires me. Although he has been told that he needs a lot of “replacements” and the cost is pretty pricey, he still has that hope that a doctor out there is going to discover that all he needs is a little tweak and he will be all better. My Dad has taught me more than any textbook. He taught me my times tables, how to hit a baseball and strategies for playing nicky-nicky nine doors. He taught me how to write an essay, how to make “moon toast” and that you are never too old to trick-or-treat. I have learned so much from my Dad, but the most important lesson I have learned is to never give up and never settle for anything but the best. And of course, always have hope.
 A woman tells her doctor, 'I've got a bad back.' The doctor says, 'It's old age.' The woman says, 'I want a second opinion.' The doctor says: 'Okay - you're ugly as well.'
                   Erin and Mike after after running the Vancouver Sun Run a few years ago

                                  Mike and Erin at Erin's University Graduation - Spring 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment