Tuesday, 27 December 2011

Keep Calm and Pray

Among the many wonderful gifts I received for Christmas this year was a book mark that says: 'Keep Calm and Pray'. It comes from the famous quote: Keep Calm and Carry On, which was a poster produced by the British Government in 1939 during the beginning of the Second World War, intended to raise the morale of the British public in the event of invasion.

'Keep Calm and Pray' was a very timely message as I was nervously getting ready for the Christmas hockey tournament in Calgary. Mike had decided a while ago that he would sit this one out and enjoy the time at home with Erin and Nathan. Even though Erin was going to be home from UBC and my mom and sister said they would come by with meals etc and Nathan said he would be coming everyday, I was so nervous to leave Mike.

Mike and I have systems; we have developed routines. I know what he needs without him necessarily having to say, plus he feels comfortable asking me to do certain things for him that he might not feel comfortable asking someone else to do. Needing his pants pulled up a bit, he says, "Give the right side of my pants a yank, would ya?" When Mike gets up to go to the washroom in the night, I am ready to put the covers back on him when he returns, and place his pillows back where he likes them - one he holds in his arms and one between his knees and I fluff the one he lays his head on.

Although I enjoyed the most wonderful Christmas ever, I was a bit of a nervous wreck the week leading up to Boxing Day - yesterday, the day Madison and I left for Calgary. But then I opened up that book mark with those words "Keep Calm and Pray". I felt it was a message just for me. Even though I had been praying, I needed to stay calm and trust that Mike would be okay.

I love the city of Calgary in the winter. It's white, it's peaceful and it's calm. Calm...just like me now. We still have four more nights to go, but I'm confident all will be well with Mike, especially after the message he sent me last night. This is the message he sent me:

calendar of events today;
1) went to swiss chalet with nathan and erin
2)found a dime in shoppers drug mart
3)got a back massage from erin while watching judge judy
4)no falls
A GOOD DAY INDEED

1 comment:

  1. That is an awesome message to receive in the middle of being away... seems Mike knows what you need too! Such a blessing you both are to each other and to those around you!

    ReplyDelete