Monday, 12 December 2011

He Hold Us Up

‘Worry’ should be a four letter word…it is so nasty. I am not normally much of a worrier, but I must admit, lately worry has become an annoying pest…more like a monster that just won’t leave me alone. I wake up and there it is. I get up and it follows me to the bathroom. I look in the mirror and its staring me in the face. All day long, day after day…following me, taunting me, nagging me…
Worry, defined by Webster is: a troubled state of mind, anxiety, uneasiness distress.  It’s horrible! Worry steals your joy, it messes with your peace, it ties up your stomach, it dictates your thoughts, it interferes with your sleep…it’s an enemy to the human race!
John 14:27 says; Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Sometimes that is easier said than done. So, how do you prevent your heart from being troubled and afraid? I’m pretty sure you have to draw nearer to the Lord and put all your trust in Him. Oswald Chambers says: You don’t know what you are going to do. The only thing you know is that God knows what He is doing. Continually examine your attitude toward God to see if you are willing to “go out” in every area of your life trusting in God entirely…Believe God is always the God you know Him to be when you are nearest to Him. Then think how unnecessary and disrespectful worry is! Let the attitude of your life be a continual willingness to “go out” in dependence upon God, and your life will have a sacred and inexpressible charm about it that is very satisfying to Him.
We were in Regina this past week for a hockey tournament. We started our journey home last night at about 5pm (3pm our time) and after a number of delays, we made our connection in Calgary. Because it was a very long day and a very busy and exciting trip, Mike wasn’t in his finest form at 11:30pm when we finally landed in Calgary. He stiffened up and was unable to walk from gate 40 (where we landed) to gate 43 (where we had to catch the next flight). The West Jet people noticed Mike struggling and called for some transportation. When we got to gate 43, another kind West Jet employee had a wheel chair ready for Mike to make the journey to the plane a little easier. We were the last to board and because the front seats were empty, we were told to take those seats if we didn’t want to go to our seats in row 19. We sat down in the front row and right away Mike commented on the extra leg room and all I could think about was my new seat next to the window. I am not crazy about flying and for that reason, I always ask for an aisle seat, plus I get up to go to the washroom a lot. I think to myself I can probably hold it for the short jaunt from Calgary to Abbotsford, but what about this window. I closed the shade and tried to distract myself by watching TV, pausing to say a little prayer and picture God holding the plane up in the sky with His hand. Mike fell asleep about ten minutes into the flight and about a half hour in, I became a little curious and lifted the shade on the window. When I lifted the shade, I lost my breath. The snow-capped Rocky Mountains were brilliant. The million stars in the sky were captivating and the slightly less than full moon was stunning. I thought to myself how my worry and fear almost kept me from experiencing this amazing view. Feeling foolish and somewhat convicted, I had a few words with the Creator of it all. I had to apologize as He reminded me that even though I am so small, he is big! And he holds us up with His hand.

                           The view on our way to Regina...mountains peeking through the clouds

2 comments:

  1. Nadine, your sharing your journey is such a blessing. I am always touched by your courage and faith not to mention your vulnerability. You and Mike are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an AMAZING photo! Thank you for sharing your heart again... I can relate to the WORRY stuff you wrote. For now, mine is behind me and I am so thankful He brought us through Osvaldo's successful surgery. I am amazed at what a full and busy life Mike has (I'm sure you have lots to do with that!). God bless him for his courage and valour!

    ReplyDelete