Thursday, 24 November 2011

My New Bike - by Mike Sands

Well, the verdict is in.  Exercise is good for you.  Those who have the get-up-and-go live longer, healthier lives than those couch potatoes who sit around doing nothing.  Sitting around has repercussions for every part of the body.  It appears the only thing that sat its way to success is a hen.  Now I’m not saying that idle couch potatoes are not important to society. After all, its lazy people who invented the wheel and the bicycle because they didn’t want to walk or carry things. With the onset of my illness, I knew it was time to get off the couch and get more active in order to stave off the symptoms.  My only question was, ‘what mode of exercise would I choose’.
 I joined a health club last year, spent $300 bucks and didn’t improve my fitness level one bit.  Apparently you have to show up.  Recently, I tried aerobics; once.  When I came home from the class I told my wife I had to quit because I broke a toe.  She said, ‘how is it now?’  I said, ‘I don’t know, you’ll have to ask the lady whose foot I stepped on.’  I then tried jogging.  The trouble with jogging is that by the time you realize you’re not in shape for it, it’s too far to walk back.  Cycling was the ideal fit for me.  Cycling is low impact on the joints and it offers you a chance to enjoy a scenic view while getting healthy.  I had a rough start to my fitness program, as my illness made it difficult to negotiate turns and my reflexes were suspect.  The photos below show the results of the two spills I had on my bike.  But like they say, I got back on that bucking bronco and continued.  In fair weather, the dikes are an ideal milieu for biking as the scenery is second to none.  With the onset of winter we purchased a stationary bike which I now ride an average of 10 miles a day on.  I believe exercise makes me feel better than any of the medication I am on, and therefore will continue doing it until my legs will not permit it.
Cycling with a flowery scenic background.  My sister, Pat, insisted I wear my helmet and elbow pads whenever I go for a bike ride.


                                                      Injuries from my first accident.

                                                     Accident # 2...down but not out!

No comments:

Post a Comment