Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Man Of Steel

On Monday night, Mike and I went to the Healing Room at the Maple Ridge Community Church. The Healing Room isn’t so much about a room; it’s more about a group of people who pray. They come together once a week to pray for the needs of anyone who walks through the door. We have been to the Healing Room once before…actually twice, but the first time we went in August, they were closed. So we just prayed together outside on the steps of the church.
Ida, who prayed for us last time greeted us at the door and asked us to have a seat. While we waited to go into a room where we would receive prayer, Ida chatted with us. Ida asked Mike how he was doing. He said, “About the same.” She said she was hoping to hear he was doing better. He said to her, “Well, the same is better than worse.”  She smiled and agreed. She asked him if he was hoping for a miracle. He said, “Not necessarily, I just want God to be there with me every step of the way.” She again smiled with her very lovely smile and gave a confident look that said, “He is with you and He will never leave you.” She looked at me and asked me if I was hoping for a miracle. I said “Absolutely!” We talked for a few more minutes and then were asked to join the prayer team waiting for us in the next room.
Mike and I went in and sat down. I knew three out of the four women on the prayer team. I got up and gave my friend Jennie a big hug, I was so glad to see her. I know Jennie and her husband Brian from the prayer meetings I used to attend at the municipal hall. The room we gathered in was small with subdued lighting. The ladies apologized because the room was so cold. They explained that they were unable to operate the thermostat. I told them it was fine because Mike is a really warm person. I knew Mike would appreciate the cool air. One of the ladies put a chair in the middle of the room and asked Mike to have a seat. They asked if it was okay for them to lay their hands on him while they prayed. With one of Jennie’s hands on my shoulder and all other hands laid on Mike, including mine, they took turns praying, and with passion, compassion and power, they prayed up a storm. One of the women stood right in front of Mike and took his hands in hers and prayed for his hands. She grabbed hold of his arm and legs and prayed for his limbs. She placed her hands on his chest and head and prayed for his mind and body. She called him a ‘man of steel’, which I thought was very fitting because Superman is called a ‘man of steel’ and Mike is like Superman…a super hero in my eyes. At one point Mike became teary eyed. I explained to the ladies that Mike isn’t sad. I told them that a symptom or ALS is heightened emotions. When they were finished praying, one of the women turned to me and said, “You are very strong.” If you want to make me cry, talk about how strong I am. She said it again and told me that God knows how strong I am. Then she quoted a verse that has been on my mind a lot lately, ‘When I am weak, He is strong’. She told me to remember that when I can’t be strong, the Lord will be my strength. Before we left, they broke out into song. They sounded like a chorus of angels as they sang to Mike, “Oh how He loves you, Oh how He loves you, Oh how He loves you and me.”
When we left, Mike told me that he didn’t get choked up because he was upset about the disease; instead he was moved by the kindness of the women and the presence of God. On the drive home, he told me that he hopes that God heal him just so those nice ladies would be encouraged and for the sake of all the other people that want if for him so bad. He said he didn’t know if he wanted it bad enough. He said he didn’t feel like it was a life or death situation. He is looking more and more forward to the life beyond those pearly gates.
Valour is stability, not of legs and arms, but of courage and the soul – Michel de Montaigne

No comments:

Post a Comment