Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Drop Everything and Pray

Today, Mike and I dropped everything and prayed together. Prayer is normally a part of our everyday lives, but being exceptionally busy over the last couple of weeks, we haven’t had a decent prayer time together in a while. Mike prayed first and he moved me deeply as he spoke slowly and thoughtfully. His words were slurred, but sounded beautiful to me and I am sure, exceptionally beautiful to the Lord. After giving thanks, he prayed for things in the order he usually does: our children, our parents, our siblings and their families, some friends, and the orphans in Africa. Somewhere in there, he prayed for me…that my ‘burdens would be light’. He kept yawning (yawning is a symptom of the illness) and at one point apologized to God for yawning so much. I could sense the Lord sitting right beside him appreciating Mike as he laid his burdens down on His big lap. He talked with ease and eloquence, the words slowly rolling off his tongue...so comfortable, so content, so lovingly.
Oswald Chambers says: "We look upon prayer simply as a means of getting things for ourselves, but the biblical purpose of prayer is that we may get to know God Himself. Be yourself before God and present Him with your problems – the very things that have brought you to your wits end. But as long as you think you are self-sufficient, you don’t need to ask God for anything."
Mike didn’t pray that much differently than any other day, but today I was moved to tears as I listened. He wasn’t out to get anything from the One who could give him everything. He was simply being himself in the presence of the Lord.
Oswald Chambers continues: "To say 'prayer changes things' is not as close to the truth as saying, 'prayer changes me and I change things'. God has established things so that prayer, on the basis of redemption, changes the way a person looks at things. Prayer is not a matter of changing things externally, but one of the working miracles in a person’s inner nature."

No comments:

Post a Comment