Friday, 14 October 2011

Trust...Easy as Pie? by Erin Sands

The following post is written by our oldest daugher Erin, who lives in Point Grey where she attends the University of British Columbia. 

Last Saturday, I decided it was time for a haircut. Getting your haircut involves a lot of trust; you are giving someone else the power to make you look like Denise Richards… or Richard Simmons.

So I walked up and down my block and realized I had seven hair salons to choose from! Apparently, hair grows really fast out here in Point Grey. Everything from high end salons to Great Clips, but then I came across “Varsity Barbers” with a cute little Asian couple standing at the window with big grins on their faces. The place was empty, not usually a good sign when it comes to hair salons and there was a big “12.99 for students” sign in the window. My Dad always told me, “If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys” but I figured they could probably use the business and decided to put my trust in the Varsity Barbers.

“Hewo, hewo! Wewcome!” They both said excitedly as I walked in. They told me that business hadn’t exactly been booming lately and that I was the first customer of the day. I told the barber that all I wanted was a little trim and the woman started cutting away. “You like the hair in the fwont?” she said. I was a little puzzled and said nervously “you mean bangs?” She nodded “ya ya, hair in the fwont” and pointed at my forehead. I yelled out a very nervous “NO! Just a trim please!” Then she made me stand up and was cutting random pieces off the back. I asked if I could get a mirror and see. Apprehensively, she replied “uh it not done yet” then yelled something in Chinese to her husband and he ran over. Now, I was starting to sweat. I caught a glimpse of it in a back mirror and it looked a bit like a wave pool. I probably would have been better off getting my 2 year old niece Leah to give me a trim.

I just closed my eyes and continued to trust in this little Asian woman. “Awl done!” She said proudly, and I hesitantly opened my eyes. Sure enough it didn’t look half bad, actually it looked quite good! I went to pay with my debit card and the couple looked at me and said “debit machine too much money, just cash” and I noticed that all they had was a little till that looked like it came from 1930. I told them all I had was a debit card and they said “you go get money and just come back.” I was shocked that they trusted me to leave and come back. I told them I probably wouldn’t be able to come back with cash until Monday and they said “whenever you can, thank you, thank you fo picking us!”

On Thanksgiving I returned with the money and once again the two of them were sitting in the window with big grins on their faces and no customers. I came back a little later with a pumpkin pie because I knew that they probably would not be doing anything special for thanksgiving but waiting for their next $12.99 customer to come in. I also wanted to show them my gratitude for trusting me. There was a lot of trust going around that weekend.

Since my Dad was diagnosed with ALS, I have had to do a lot of trusting. I have had to trust the doctors who are taking care of him, the scientists who are looking for treatments and cures, and I have to trust that God will give him strength and courage to make it through the challenges he faces every day.
 


  
I am trusting that his life will be like the barber’s chair. The quality of it may be snipped and clipped with a big pair of scissors. It can be a bit of a scary and uncertain ride, but the end result, if this ALS beats him, will be an amazing, stylish new ‘do’ up in heaven.    

No comments:

Post a Comment