Sunday, 4 September 2011

You Don't Know You've Got Till It's Gone

Our dear friend Karen was on my mind this morning when I woke up. Karen was diagnosed with breast cancer recently and had a mastectomy two days ago. I have a lot of very strong women in my life, and she is right up there on the list. An email from a friend said that Karen was doing well, eating cinnamon buns and cracking jokes about her hospital room mates. The email went on to say that a group of Karen’s visitors squeezed into the washroom to view the newly vacant space on Karen’s chest. One day you have two breasts and the next day, you have one. It made me think how we don’t always appreciate something until it’s taken away.
We don’t always appreciate something until it’s taken away, or there is a threat of it being taken away. It's like the song says, "You don't know what you've got till it's gone." You know, "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot."
Two weeks after Mike’s diagnosis, I wrote in my journal as I pondered some of the things I appreciated about Mike. This is what I wrote: Mike does my income taxes…he pays the bills…he makes almost all the money…he washes the kitchen floor…and the inside of the microwave…he picks up the dog pooh in the back yard…he gets the oil changed in the car…he helps the kids with homework…he turns the hockey game so I can watch the end of Love It or List It…he holds my hand when I know he wants to let go…he makes me laugh…he makes me feel special…he tells me I’m beautiful. Mike never complains…he never puts me down…he never expects dinner, but is always happy when there is some…he never makes me feel stupid, even though he is way smarter than me…he never bats an eye when I ask him how to spell a word I’ve asked him to spell a hundred times before or when was the war of 1812. Mike is patient and forgiving. He is kind and thoughtful. I really appreciate him.

1 comment:

  1. very nice words Nadine! You are a special woman, and have a special husband!!

    ReplyDelete