Wednesday, 7 September 2011

'Trust' Rock

Today is September 7th. Marked on our calendar for today is an appointment with the ALS Team at GF Strong. There is a new drug for ALS that is still under trial and Mike was going to be a part of the study. We were excited about this new drug and were praying that Mike would get the real thing and not the placebo…turns out, he isn’t getting either. There were too many people signed up for the study, so some of them were scratched…Mike being one of them. Mike got the call while I was out one day last week. He told me the news without any emotion. I couldn’t believe it when he told me as we had been gearing up for this for a long time. I had to call the office myself and hear about this grave injustice with my own ears. They told me what Mike told me and said they were sorry, but the study was closed. That train left the station and we missed it. Mike said it was okay because this new drug isn’t the cure anyway and he is waiting on the cure. At that moment, I heard the Lord in His quiet voice remind me that I trust in Him…that we trust in Him and believe He is in control. We have committed our lives to Him and have put all our faith in Him, so is this news going to flip that faith on its back? No it isn’t.
I was reminded of one of my favourite Bible verses. Proverbs 3:5,6, which says: Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will direct your paths
I received an email from Erin last night. It was her first day at UBC. She finished her degree in December and was living at home while she waited for the teaching program to start. Mike and I moved her to Point Grey two days ago. She is going to be a French immersion teacher…we are so proud. Anyway, she relayed all the happenings of the day in her witty way, making me laugh out loud and ended the message with the following: ‘’I have science class in the morning and the teacher told us to bring something that describes science to us. I'm bringing the trust rock because I have all my trust in the scientists of today that they will find a cure. I trust that God has created a brain out there that will find it! I am praying every single day!’’ The trust rock is a rock with the word TRUST on it. 
Instead of going out to GF Strong this afternoon, Mike and I went for a bike ride. As we were getting started, I mentioned how maybe we don’t need two vehicles right now. I suggested that we leave one vehicle off the road until Mike goes back to work. He looked at me and we both smiled. He said ‘’After all I’m going to be healed, and if not, the alternative isn't so bad.’’ He meant heaven, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment