Thursday, 29 September 2011

News Worthy

Mike received a phone call the day before yesterday from a reporter from the Maple Ridge News. Robert had seen my blog and was interested in meeting us. Mike told him to come on over and after he hung up, he asked me what I thought he might want. I told Mike he probably wants to do a story. Mike was a little confused and said, "I have ALS, but I don`t think it's news worthy."  Robert came over yesterday and he was younger and less serious than I thought he would be for an award winning journalist. After he introduced himself, he asked if I was George`s daughter. He said he had done a number of articles on my mom and dad and their adventures in Africa drilling wells and taking care of orphans. He took his shoes off before I could tell him not to, and had a seat. Robert became a friend right away. It didn`t seem like he was doing a job, it felt like we already knew him and he was just dropping by to say, "Hey, how`s it going?" He said he had read some of our posts and wanted to know what inspired me to start the blog. I told him I wanted friends and family to be able to know how Mike is doing. I told Robert that Mike`s family live in Toronto and that maybe a blog would be a good way for them to stay connected to the son and brother they adore. I also said that Mike has such a positive attitude and a great sense of humour that if I could inspire or encourage some people by writing about Mike, then that would be great. Robert suggested that perhaps someone recently diagnosed with ALS would benefit from reading our blog as well. I said yes, I sure  hope so. I also told him that Mike is looking a little different…the illness is showing, but he is the same guy on the inside and giving people the opportunity to take a peek into our lives every other day or so and hear from Mike himself, hopefully brings a little comfort to those who are concerned. Robert asked lots of questions. He asked Mike about his work and Mike liked that. Robert wanted to know why Mike became a nurse and asked if Mike felt nursing was a rewarding job and if he enjoyed it. Without any hesitation, Mike said YES, absolutely and he explained how nursing was a 'calling'. He wanted to know about our travels to Africa with Project Wellness, our family's charitable organization. He wanted to know about Mike's biking and inquired about the few accidents he read about in my blog. He asked about our children and how we are all handling the situation. We told him we have our moments of course, but we keep looking up. Toward the end of our visit, Mike shared how he is surprised that he isn't as sad as he thinks he should be after receiving such horrible news. He thinks it has something to do with the comfort of knowing there is something better to come.
In my favourite book, My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chamber writes on March 7 (the day Mike was diagnosed with ALS), titled: The Source of Abundant Joy – The underlying foundation of the Christian faith is the underserved, limitless miracle of the love of God that was exhibited on the Cross of Calvary; a love that is not earned and never can be…And the experiences of life, whether they are everyday events or terrifying ones, are powerless to "separate us from the love of God."
Romans 8:28,29 says: For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any power, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment