Thursday, 8 September 2011

The Narrow Gate

Today, while Mike and I were out for a bike ride, we had to go through a narrow gate to get from the road we were on to the park. Mike was ahead of me and didn’t seem to even notice the narrow gate. As I approached the gate, I became a little shaky even though I knew I could clear it no problem. I focused on looking through the gate and not at it and immediately I was fine…I sailed through with ease. In the past, I have looked at the narrow gate and have had trouble manoeuvring through it, even to the point of having to stop and put my feet on the ground and push my way through. As we cycled in the park, I pondered the narrow gate and how obstacles are a part of life. Obstacles can be discouraging and sometimes, overwhelming, but looking over, around or ‘through’ obstacles, takes away the hold they can have on us.
Mike is doing very well at looking over, around and through the obstacles ALS has presented in his life. The power of positive thinking and the power of prayer, gives him the strength and ability to ‘look through the narrow gate’ every day.
Courage is never to let your actions be influenced by your fears. Arthur Koestler

No comments:

Post a Comment