Wednesday, 14 September 2011

Love Is Patient

The words ‘Love is patient, love is kind’ are written on our bedroom wall. The first message of the day and the last at night. We try to live by that message, but of course, we slip up from time to time. Mike and I have a good relationship. We can honestly say we are, ’happily married’. Of course it’s not perfect…no marriage is perfect. There are things that annoy me about him and I am guessing there are one or two things that annoy him about me, we have just learned to accept the imperfections over the years. I don’t like washing the cutlery when I wash the dishes, but Mike doesn’t complain, he just washes the cutlery. Mike’s table manners are terrible. He eats too fast, he is messy and he makes a lot of noise. But I knew that going in, so I try to ignore it. Sometimes I’ll nudge him under the table if we are with other people. I’m not a good cook. In fact, I have burned many meals, dish cloths, oven mitts, even a phone once. Mike says ‘’It’s okay, you can’t be good in all the rooms,’’ and happily eats whatever I serve. I will though, get ticked off when he leaves wet towels on the bed. He has a habit of drying off and dropping his towel on my side of the bed while looking in his drawer for clean socks and underwear.
After four doctors tell your husband he has ALS, you start to think maybe your time together is limited. I think differently now that there is a possibility we don’t have as much time as I assumed we had. When I was sure Mike and I were going to grow old together, I didn’t think twice about taking five or ten minutes to tell him off for leaving a wet towel on my pillow. But last night when Mike left a wet towel on my side of the bed, I started to say something, but stopped myself and realized I can’t spare 5 or 10 minutes telling him off. He turned to me and said ‘’Yes dear?’’ I had the towel in my hand and was ready to give him heck, but we both broke out in laughter instead. We spent about 5 or 10 minutes laughing and talking and then went to sleep.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 says: Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
                            Mike enjoying a hot dog at the olympics in Vancouver, February 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment