Friday, 23 September 2011

Living On a Prayer

Everyone and their dog (literally) was at the dyke today. Mike and I have been riding our bikes at the dykes a lot lately to avoid the traffic and to enjoy the amazing scenery. The Golden Ears Mountains of Maple Ridge are stunning and Mount Baker in all its snowy splendour the other day was so close we could almost touch it even though it’s all the way in the U.S.A. It’s been raining on and off for the last few days and with the humidity, I keep saying I feel like I’m in the Amazon. Mike says this is the way it feels in Toronto after a rain fall. The birds were chirping and the crickets were cricketing and the bugs were sticking to our sweat…what a great day. We rode the dyke from the entrance at Laity St. to Harris Road in Pitt Meadows. We always have to touch the gate at Harris Road or Mike says you can’t say you have been all the way. Round trip from our house and back is about 19Ks. We took a little break at the gate and made fun of each other’s sweaty bug collection. Mike suggested we ride on the other side back. We have only taken that path once and it was so bumpy, I’m sure I had a concussion at the end of it…maybe just whip lash, but it wasn’t very enjoyable, so I told Mike no. Then I thought, whatever Mike wants, Mike should get. So I said, “Your wish is my command”. His one eye brow raised and with a frisky look on his face, he said “In that case, I will save my wish for tonight” wink, wink. Some things never change. So, anyway we rode back the way we came. As we started out, Mike said we are half way there. I said, “Isn’t that a song?” and he said “Yah, Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi”. As we pedaled, he thought about his wish for tonight (I could tell by the look on his face) and I thought about the goodness of God and how he hears our prayers and always answers. Sometimes His answer is ‘no’, sometimes it is ‘yes’ and sometimes it’s ‘not now’. With all the ALS discoveries and breakthroughs in the news lately, we are growing more and more excited. We are a little nervous as well…what if the cure doesn’t come soon enough? So, like the song says, we are living on a prayer and believe that God’s timing is always perfect…whatever happens.
While my sister, Elanna and I were chatting earlier today, she quoted one of my favourite Bible verses and I think it applies: Philippians 4:6,7 – Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
                                                                     The Golden Ears

No comments:

Post a Comment